Wednesday, March 12, 2014

The Favored Child

I am a history buff, specifically Europe's Monarchy hisory buff. No, wait let me be a little more specific. I'm a stalker of  England's historical monarchs. I'm not that crazy stalker that digs up the graves to see their skeletons, I'm the kind of stalker that reads every book possible that I can understand about the nobility and write blog posts about them. I'm that sort of stalker.

The current book that I am reading is by one of my favorite author of the Tudor period. The Tudor house is the one with King Henry VIII, you know the guy that had six wives that all died except for one. The book so far is about two cousins, one named Richard and one named Julia and are both part of the Lacey family. At the age of 8 they both expect to marry each other which is sorta cute and wierd but it's child play right? They both live together at Wideacre estate, which is bankrupt by the way, and are surrounded by the so called rumour of the "Favored Child".

You see, before they were born a woman named Beatrice held the land in her hand, she made crops grow, storms brew and was able to tame horses and other animals in seconds. She died as a crazy person who was believed to be a witch and had the so called mystical powers of sight and had tricked the devil to get them. Fast forward to current time, villagers are looking at both of the cousins wondering "Who's the Favored Child? Who got Beatric's powers? Who is the true Lacey?" and based on what I had currently read I have a solid bet its Julia becuase Richard is terrible with animals and is a crued heartless person.

What makes Richard so cruel is his need to be number one in the family. His need to be number one is consuming him to the point that he will do anything to destroy what gets in his way. He killed a horse that Julia was able to tame before he was able to, he hit Julia with a crop mulitple times for riding a horse before he was able to master it and to remind you he was 10, a child. He is a cruel heartless person and I hope Julia wakes up and fights him before it gets so far.

This part of the story began to remind me of a youtube video that was posted on women's day. It was about the world through a woman's eyes, it started off cute and sweet like the book and by the end, I was completly horrified. It makes me wonder if the intention of the book was not to inform about the history of Widacre, but instead a call to the world about the violence that women indured at that time and how it hasn't changed, just silenced. I never really paid any attention to women's day before and I thought it was just a feminist thing, but it's not. Maybe I'm taking the story too far, maybe not, I don't know but my view of the author really changed after just the first few chapters that I might think a little bit more about current social issues.

5 comments:

  1. Wait, what is the book called and what is it about?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a funny post! I love how you used humor and I can hear your voice. I actually can relate to you in the way that I am a Pompeii stalker. I am trying to find some books about it but it isn't the most common subject. I remember learning about Henry VIII and how his wives in order were "divorced, beheaded, died, divorced, beheaded, survived"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, I for one and glad you are not stalking people’s graves. Yet, beside the point, I love you humor and sarcasm in this post, like you are speaking to me in person. It's great! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, that video is disturbing. I was just reading the previous comments and I wonder if anyone even watched the video... I like your connection between the author's main purpose/intention and what the message in the video conveys. I think that today author's use a story as a platform to draw attention to a much bigger issue (in this case, women's rights). I find it interesting in the video a woman goes through a very normal, twenty-first century day and experiences the same torture and fear a woman in the Tudor-era would go through. Great post and thank you for leading me to that video!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it's a bit, disturbing but is a real world issue and it shouldn't be an avoided discussion. I actually find it to be even more disturbing that it's a problem.

      Delete