I'm not a fan of dystopian society based books, I haven't even read Divergent but there are exceptions to every dislike. I have a "list" that comprises of two dystopian society books that I like which are both by Lois Lowry; messenger and Gathering Blue. And now that "list" is expanding by one more book, Son, the conclusion to The Giver. Why isn't The Giver on my list? The ending was too disappointing to me to be on my list but Son makes up for it greatly giving more backstory on Abe and the story if what Noah in countered on his run away from the society.
To give people a refresher on who Abe and Noah are (if you have not read The Giver stop here and go read it and then come back), Abe is the weak baby that Noah's family was taking care of during the night. Noah was the main protagonist of the book and was chosen at the age of 12 ceremonies to become the next giver which allowed him to learn about what life was like before the current society. At the end of The Giver Noah take s Abe with him and runs away from the society with the final scene being that they saw pretty colors. Yah, after all that build up, the story ends with they saw pretty colors. Can you understand my disappointment?
However Son makes up for that like I stated earlier. The way that Lowry begins the conclusion is very interesting because she introduces a new character Claire who was a birth mother and explains her first pregnancy and doesn't reveal who's the baby until couple chapters later. The story then continues in Claire's points of view until we finally meet Noah again and learn finally what happened to him after the The Giver.
This can be a difficult book to understand if you don't read The Giver so it is for your own good if you read that book first so you can completely enjoy Son and feel satisfied and filled after learning what happened to Noah and Abe.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13324841-son
That is a link to a goodreads summary about Son, so if you want some more back story click on the link!

I can so relate to The Giver ending. I just stopped reading, dropped the book, and went to cry in a dark corner. (Obviously, I'm exaggerating... for all you know) Anyways, the ending was pretty disappointing but I guess that's what the author did to add tension so people will buy his second book, I haven't read Son, personally because I'm pretty lazy when it comes to reading. However, I don't necessarily want to read it because I didn't really like The Giver that much. I could go onto why but I'll save you the reading. But great post!
ReplyDeleteIt's funny, I JUST finished reading Son and I actually wasn't satisfied with the ending. I personally thought Lowry's first two books The Giver and Gathering Blue were "better" than Messenger and Son. I guess we are all entitled to our own opinions though:) Great post!
ReplyDelete