Wednesday, April 16, 2014

The Help - Katherine Stockett

In my opinion, The Help is one of the best example of karma. So because of that I think that the theme of the book is what comes around goes around. The Help is a fictional story that takes place in the 1960s in Jackson, Mississippi so segragation was very much an issue in the book. The book is narratated by 3 main characters of the book; Aibileen Clark, Minny Jackson and Eugenia Phelan (Skeeter).
The first two characters are both African American employed maids that work in a white household. Aibileen is a nice kind middle aged woman who had suffered the loss of her son a couple years ago, she also said to be sitting next to God's ear because her prayers are always answered in some way. An example of the theme happening to Aibileen is that after her son died, she began to be really look into religion to find an answer and peace, which then people began to notice that whoever she put on her prayer list was benefited some way.
Minny on the other hand, is probably the most funniest, sassiest person you will ever meet. Having many mouths to feed in her family causes her to be under a lot of stress and has no time to waste making her not really care what she says to other people (it's gotten her fired from 19 jobs). Her example of the theme is the most funniest part of the book. During most of the book, Minny is working for  Miss. Walters, who I think treated her terribly, and when Minny quit after being hired by Celia Foote, she does it in a way that no one else would dare to do. She bakes a pie and swears to Miss Waters while she is eating the pie and tells her to eat her waste. Which she actually is because Minny baked her poop into the pie.
I was planning to continue writing about the theme and applying it to Eugenia, but I decided that I have released enough spoilers  in this post so I'll just leave you with  the trailer for the movie, by the way I think it's already on DVD or VCR, your choice.



2 comments:

  1. I've been thinking about reading this book for a while, and you just convinced me. Congrats! I like when Minny poops in a pie. Now I have a new idea for revenge. Just kidding. I like how you didn't reveal a whole lot about the characters, just enough to get us interested.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book seems very interesting especially the character Minny.. her ideas of revenge clearly excel mine. However this book seems to have a great new concept and as per what you wrote and how you liked it, I may even try to read it.

    ReplyDelete